- Follow disposal directions you received with your medicines. If you did not receive directions, ask your pharmacist about disposal or consult the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) guidelines.
- Take advantage of programs that accept unused medications for proper disposal. Find the disposal location in your area by visiting AgainstOpioidAbuse.org/disposal.
- The FDA recommends folding fentanyl patches in half with the sticky sides together before flushing.
- Scratch out all personal information on prescription containers before discarding.
- Ask your physician’s office or pharmacist if they provide medication disposal bags (these bags neutralize medicines to avoid damage to the environment).
- You can also combine medication with dirt, kitty litter or used coffee grounds and place the mixture in a sealed plastic bag before discarding in the trash.
Safe Disposal: An Important Part of Addressing Opioid Abuse